Biotechnology Post-Doctoral Research Fellow
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This is a full-time position (1.0 FTE) with the University of British Columbia (UBC)
Qu Biologics is a private, clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company located in Vancouver, BC, that develops Site Specific Immunomodulators (SSIs) which are designed to restore the body’s normal immune function to reverse the chronic inflammation underlying many conditions including cancer and inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD).
IS QU FOR YOU?
Love doing something that you can feel passionate about? Excited by innovation? Love new ideas and working with a creative, fun and inspired team? Want to make a difference in the world and work with people who feel the same? Then this is for you!
• You are well-organized, understand the importance of detail, and are able to multi-task and prioritize duties effectively
• You understand the importance of identifying and overcoming rate-limiting steps to ensure that projects are moving forward as quickly as possible, without sacrificing quality
• You are innovative and also practical and enjoy finding the most efficient and cost-effective solutions to real-world problems
• You value respectful, open communication and inspired teamwork to achieve shared goals
• You always ask “Why?”
Take a look at our core values and meet the Qu team in this video where Qu’s Research Operations Manager, Momir Bosiljcic, takes you on a tour of Qu Biologics!
Qu Biologics is looking to co-sponsor an exciting opportunity for a Biotechnology Post-Doctoral Fellow, under the Mitacs Accelerate program (www.mitacs.ca/en/programs/accelerate), to help advance our Preclinical and Translational Research (PTR) Program. The position will be held with UBC, as part of a collaboration between Qu Biologics and Dr. Bruce Vallance (http://www.vangopro.ca/Vallance-Lab/overview.html). You will be given the opportunity to bridge the gap between academia and industry and gain valuable experience in both arenas. We are looking for an immunologist or microbiologist that has broad interests in mucosal immunology and host-pathogen interactions. The successful candidate will have demonstrated success in synthesizing information and scientific communication in the form of manuscripts and reports. The successful candidate will have a deep expertise in innate immune response to infection and have a robust understanding of immunology and experimental in vivo and in vitro techniques used to probe diseases rooted in immune dysfunction and pathology.
Get ready to join a demanding, high-performance team functioning in an exciting, fast-paced, translational environment!
The successful candidate must have strong interpersonal skills, excellent communication skills and the ability to interact positively with other team members. This position requires a high level of organization and initiative, and a proven ability to work both independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team. The successful candidate must possess an excellent understanding of both the innate and adaptive arms of the immune system. In addition, the candidate should understand the interconnectivity and interplay between innate and adaptive immunity. The individual must demonstrate expertise in intestinal mucosal immunology and/or mouse IBD models. Note, applicants must be within 5 years of being granted their PhD degree, and be eligible to live and work in Canada.
Specific duties and responsibilities will include and not limited to:
• Under the supervision of the research scientist at Qu Biologics and Dr. Bruce Vallance at the University of British Columbia, the candidate will assist with experimental in vivo models of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD; i.e., Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis) suitable for evaluating the safety and therapeutic efficacy of Qu’s proprietary SSIs
• Provide expertise in cell assay systems and molecular biology assays involving gene expression analysis
• Using standard protocols, as well developing new ones, analyze animal and human tissues and samples (including, but not limited to: flow cytometry, ELISA, qPCR, Luminex)
• Write clear and organised scientific reports on conducted research
• Attend relevant meetings at Qu Biologics and UBC
REQUIRED TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS
• PhD in intestinal inflammation/mucosal immunology (or highly relevant field), obtained within the last five (5) years
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in the English language are required
• Proven proficiency in working in the lab (confident and self-assured), setting up new experiments and driving research forward
• Previous experience with mouse model of inflammatory disease is required
• Previous research experience in the field of immunology, mucosal or autoimmune disease research is required
• A record of publishing in peer-reviewed journals demonstrating expertise in the field of mucosal immunology would be viewed favourably
• Proficiency in MS Office suite, GraphPad Prism, FlowJo software is strongly preferred
• Eligibility to live and work in Canada is required
DESIRED START DATE
April 1st, 2017, or sooner if possible
Salary commensurate with experience
HOW TO APPLY
If this opportunity matches your character, experience and skill set, and you would like to work in an exciting and dynamic team developing proprietary immunotherapies for inflammatory diseases, please email a cover letter and your resume in Microsoft Word (doc/docx) or PDF format, to the attention of Momir Bosiljcic at email@example.com. Applications will not be accepted by fax or over the phone. Please indicate which position you are applying for.
We thank all applicants for their interest. We regret that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note that we will not be fielding inquires by phone.